In 1983, the Wisconsin Architects Foundation received the Joseph J. Stoner House as a gift from Madison Newspapers, Inc. This imposing two-story Italianate structure, located at 321 S. Hamilton Street in Madison, was built in 1855 of indigenous sandstone.
The Stoner House was named a Madison Landmark in 1973 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Unfortunately, during this period of time the building was vacant and fell into serious disrepair.
As a condition of the gift, the Wisconsin Architects Foundation agreed to move the Stoner House 100 feet and to undertake an architecturally and historically sensitive renovation. The renovation of the Stoner House was completed in October 1984 at a cost of over $200,000.
The successful restoration of the Stoner House was made possible by the financial assistance received from the Historic Preservation Division of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin, the National Park Service and the City of Madison as well as contributions from architects and other friends from throughout the state. In addition, the Wisconsin Society of Architects in 1984 agreed to loan the WAF a total of $45,000 to complete the restoration of the Stoner House.